The roots of our church were established in 1857 when Central Presbyterian Church started a mission Sunday School in the outskirts of Wilmington in a section called McDowellville. Expanding, the school moved into a building at Rodney and Fourteenth Streets in 1865 and in 1882, constructed a new building at the corner of Rodney and 13th Streets. This new building was known as the Rodney Street Chapel and remains the oldest part of the existing structure.
On January 28, 1886, the Church came into its own when the Chapel was organized into the Rodney Street Presbyterian Church, with 55 members. To accommodate a growing congregation, the present Gothic style sanctuary was started in 1910, encompassing part of the original building. Upon completion in 1911, the name was changed to Westminster Presbyterian Church.
Since that time, other needs have been filled with the addition of a Community Hall, additional church-school space, an updated office wing, and the Memorial Garden.